Orange City Fire Department logoThe Orange City Fire Department was founded twice, first in 1883 as the Rescue Hook and Ladder Company of Orange City, which was disbanded in 1888, and then re-founded in 1897 as the Orange City Hook and Ladder Company.

This oral history project records the memories of Orange City Fire Department (OCFD) members regarding their experiences on the department including: why they joined the department; memorable and important fires and rescues; personal protective equipment, tools, and apparatus and how they changed over time; training; how the department managed the business of fire; and the social life surrounding the department. Chief officers and retired long-term members were interviewed and photos from the OCFD’s collection, personal collections, and the Dutch American Heritage Museum were gathered to add visual interest. The assistance of Fred Dykstra and Don Schreur was especially valuable.

Dr. Ann Lundberg presented on the history of the Orange City Fire Department at Orange City's Dutch American Heritage Museum in 2022. You can watch her video (approximately 1 hour in length) online.


Browse the Orange City Fire Department Collections:


Oral Histories